appropriated adj : taken without permission or consent especially by public authority; "the condemned land was used for a highway cloverleaf"; "the confiscated liquor was poured down the drain" [syn: condemned, confiscate, confiscated, seized, taken over]
- past of appropriate
Appropriation is the act of taking possession of or assigning purpose to properties or ideas and is important in many topics, including:
- Appropriation (sociology) in relation to the spread of knowledge
- Appropriation (art)
- Appropriation (economics) origination of human ownership of previously unowned natural resources such as land
- Appropriation (law) as a component of government spending
- Cultural appropriation is the borrowing, or theft, of an element of cultural expression of one group by another.
- The tort of appropriation is one form of invasion of privacy.